Couponing My Way To The Islands!

Monday, February 15, 2010

~How Do I???~Menu Plan!~

There are several different ways you can do this, all of which work. I will explain each way and tell you what I know about it with an example of the person that I know that uses the technique.

1.) Menu plan off what you already have...This is the technique that I use as well as many other couponers. If you are a seasoned couponer, then your fridge, freezer and pantry are all well stocked and you can operate under this method.
I love to get my husband involved in this! Since he will be eating what I prepare,I think it is nice to let him have a say in it. What I do every 2 weeks is ask him to write down 2 weeks worth of meals that sound good to him. He is happy to do it and loves the fact that I asked him!

2.) Menu plan off the sale circular each week...This is also another method used by some couponers. This method is perfect if you are new to couponing and are working on building up your stockpile. However, the down side of this method is that you will be limited to what is on sale each week. Example: Beef may be the only thing on sale that week. I don't know to many people that want to eat hamburger meat for 7 meals. That is why is best to build up your stock with a variety of chicken and beef when they go on sale so you are not stuck with just one type of meat. Variety is the key! It think this method is best for the short term. Remember, we ALWAYS shop the circular...we just don't always menu plan off of it :)

3.) Menu plan with what sounds good to you each week...This is not the most economical way of doing it, but it does work. (I know you are shocked to have just read this!) It works if you have an ironclad menu that you do not depart from at all. You go to the store one time and ONLY purchase what is needed for those meals and then you walk out. I have a friend that is not a couponer and does this method. She is able to stay within her budget by only buying her menu items. She is unlike any other person that I know and is able to stick to her menu exactly each day. I once asked her what she did if the meal she had planned for that week did not sound good on that day. She said that she just thought about it all day and made it sound good. I'm glad she can do that, but I'm not that good!
This method works if you are a VERY organized person and can truly plan and budget. The other difference between this and #1 is that you have to have a much larger budget (typically) for this method. My friend buys a lot of organic and gourmet types of food and by doing so, she spends around $800 per month on her groceries.


Well, that is the basic explanation of the three methods. I'm sure there are many other ways of menu planning, these are just the methods that I have used. I hope you can find a method that works for you!

No comments: