Couponing My Way To The Islands!

Tuesday, June 1, 2010

~The Importance of an Emergency Fund!~

Last week my cute hubby drove our older car home from work and said something was wrong with it. It had been running great, up until he headed home. No lights were on, no problems since July of 09'. This was the first car that I paid for all on my own and have taken great care of it. Regardless, it is a 1997 model....So, things will have to be repaired from time to time. We were hoping it could be fixed for $75 (who doesn't hope for that!). Well, it ended up being closer to $500. We could look at this 1 of 2 ways.
#1 Go out and get a newer car
#2 Be thankful that it only costs us $500 to drive it this year.

I'm going with #2 :)

Am I excited about spending $500? NOPE! My point here is that this is an expense that we could not have avoided. Always having money put aside for "emergencies" is a great feeling. Being debt free has so many perks!

My other point is to not go out and replace an older car just because it needs a few things fixed. Just think about how much money you are actually saving by not going out and financing a car. I know, not popular. I'm pretty sure that most self-made millionaire's probably made a lot of "unpopular" financial decisions to earn their millions!

Have a great day and be proud of driving that car that is fully paid for!

Blessed~
SHO

No comments: