Couponing My Way To The Islands!

Monday, November 15, 2010

~How to make FREE items into CHRISTmas gifts!~

This is the time of year that most of us start to feel the effects of Christmas shopping in our finances. I'm here to tell you today that there is hope! You can take everyday items you have picked up while couponing and make them into gifts. These types of items make great teacher or Sunday school worker gifts. It is so nice to be able to bless the people who make a difference during the holidays.

Items that make great Christmas gifts when in a cute package:
Coffee (with a cute mug from the dollar store)

Candles (take off the label & add ribbon)

*Another thing I do is add a monogram sticker to the glass portion and it instantly looks great! This will be a cute teacher gift once I add some red candy!

*I filled the glass container (purchased at a garage sale 2/.25) with FREE cough drops & the FREE Bath & Body Works lotion. This teacher and I recently talked about cough drops & her needing some, so that is not totally random :)

Air freshener plug-in
*I have been giving this gift to a friend who LOVES lavender. She would not purchase this type of item due to the cost, but LOVES when she gets it as a gift! Remember it is the value of the gift, not the price you pay for it.

Stationary items
*Back in August when all of the stores had their back to school sale, I got several stationary items for FREE. I've been saving them and plan to put together a bag full of writing/craft items for my daughter. She LOVES crafts, so these FREE items will be perfect!

I gave this to one of my daughter's teacher with a note that said "I hope that I bring you a Touch of Happiness today!" (Touch of Happiness is the scent...hard to see)

*Don't forget to ask for the plastic bag & ribbon at Bath & Body Works. It's FREE with purchase! It is not the most beautiful display, but it gets the job done. After all, I've never heard anyone say "I'm so glad they spent more on the wrapping than the actual gift!"

So, you may NOT want to give the FREE toothpaste or deodorant that you have gotten while couponing to just anyone! Ha! Totally understand that one :) However, if you are giving a relative or child a stocking why not fill it full of "favorite things". Everyone I know has a "favorite" deodorant, toothpaste, shower gel, hair product, etc. This is more for those of you with teens. I don't know a teen out there that isn't into hygiene products to some degree, this would be a perfect opportunity to introduce a few new items. Great for stockings!

Last year I gave my MIL a bag full of her "favorite things" which included several of my FREE items (shampoo, deodorant, dish soap, air freshener, etc). She loved it because I took time to pick her favorite brands and put them along with some other items (non-coupon items). It ended up being a really great gift. It had a much higher value than what I actually paid. Those are my favorite types of gifts to give!

I hope this post inspires you to think outside of the "normal gift package" and to realize that you can make the most of FREE items you have gotten while couponing.

Monday Blessings~
SHO

No comments: