Couponing My Way To The Islands!

Thursday, August 19, 2010

~How do I cook inexpensively?~

How do you make your meals at home so inexpensively?


Very carefully! We don't eat hardly any "convenience food" (you know the stuff that comes out of a box). Convenience foods are more expensive and let's be honest...not good for you! Food that has fresh ingredients really does taste better. Sometimes I will include a package of something along with a fresh item. Am I making sense?

Here is an example:
*(Knorr brand pasta) Cheddar & Broccoli noodles package (purchased on sale & with coupon for around .60-.80 for the package)
*Add Shredded chicken that I've cooked in bulk in the crockpot (purchased for .99 per lb a while back)
*Add an entire bag of frozen broccoli (purchased for FREE with sale & coupons)
Once this is added together it is pretty tasty and super quick. After all, who has time to be spending hours in the kitchen? Not me :)

I try to prepare each meal with the ingredients that I've purchased with coupons or on sale. If I'm using meat (usually the most expensive part of meal), I will really try to make up for the cost with other items that I have gotten FREE or super cheap. I always have a good idea of what the meal will cost before I make it. If you plan your menu and stick to it this becomes easier each week.

My goal is to keep each meal under $3 for my family of 3. We almost always have leftovers too. Usually, my meals come in way under budget even!
You can do it, you will just have to be mindful of what you are making and what you are spending on the ingredients. If you have a large family (example: 6 people), you can easily double my portions for $6 or less.
Happy Cooking!
SHO

No comments: