Couponing My Way To The Islands!

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

~How to Make a Meal For Less Money!~

One of my hunky hubs favorite meals that his mother makes is broccoli & cheese casserole. She gave me the recipe a couple of years ago and he has loved each time that I've made it. I decided to mix it up a bit this time around due to budget cuts. Meaning, the cheese whiz was $3.99 and I typically don't want the entire meal to cost that much! So, I tried a can of Campbell's Fiesta Nacho Cheese Cooking Soup instead. It was actually really good! It did have a kick from the "fiesta" portion of the cheese soup. I was happy that the can was only $1.50 rather than the $3.99.

This is what I used:
fresh broccoli
brown rice (I always cook with brown rice rather than white rice.)
cream of mushroom
cream of chicken
fiesta nacho cheese cooking soup
dried onions (didn't have a real onion)
can of chicken (Don't judge...It was this or a meatless dish and you all know how my hunky hubs feels about that ;)

Layered the rice at the bottom and the soup mixture on top.

The finished product!

Hope this encourages you to use what you already have and to substitute and try something new. You just might like it even better!

Happy Wednesday!
SHO

No comments: