Couponing My Way To The Islands!

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

~You Ask...I Tell~

This is a very random post answering some questions that have been asked or emailed to me recently. I didn't get to them all, but this is a good start. I hope this answers some of your questions.

How do you stay within budget and buy meat in bulk?
*I take the amount (Example: $80 spent on ground beef) and divide it by 4 months, which equals $20 per month. Then I get out my spreadsheets for the next months and automatically deduct the $20. The meat will last longer than 4 months, but I feel comfortable with the $20 being taken out for that period of time. That way, I know the money is accounted for. Since I keep accurate records, my system works. If you are doing the envelope system, my system will be easy for you to maintain.

How are you able to only spend $150-$175 per month on all food & toiletries?
*I am very careful about every purchase that I make. Before heading to the store, I know how much I want to spend. Since I have a stock pile, I am on a maintenance plan. Basically, I only have to purchase the food items that I want and at the price that I want to pay.
"And my God shall supply all your need according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus."
~Phil 4:19~

How often do you grocery shop?
*This is a HUGE MISCONCEPTION about how often I go to the store. Honestly, not often! I usually only go once per week. I could go less than that, but I always want to make sure I don't miss out on any FREE items and usually need some fresh fruit too. I only hit CVS or Walgreen's once per week or sometimes only once every couple of weeks. I ONLY GO IN IF I CAN GET FREE ITEMS! That is my rule :)
*I coupon to make my life easier and more enriched, not to complicate it and make it stressful. Running all over town to get every deal is stressful to me. :)

It is time consuming?
*Honestly, sometimes it is more than others. This week, I've only spent about 15 minutes on coupons while I was cooking dinner. This was not a big shopping week for me. I've spent my grocery budget for the month (almost), so no big trips planned here until next week.


Do you shop at Sam's or Costco?
*No. I love both of those stores, but cancelled our membership once I became a coupon girl. I'm able to get better deals when I combine sales w/ coupons. Plus, the membership fee cancels out a great deal of the savings (for me anyway).

Do you enjoy couponing?
*Absolutely!

Does it get old?
*No, sometimes frustrating when people don't understand their own coupon policies...but I never get tired of saving money ;)
"Refrain from anger and turn from wrath; do not fret—it leads only to evil."
~Psalm 37:8~

How do you stay focused?

*I dream about this romantic, tropical island vacation with my hubby each summer. Enough said ;)

What do you do with the money you save?
*I explain this in my very first post (if you have time, you can scroll back and read). Anyway, I started out saving all of the money to pay for our annual island trip. Now, I save more than enough to pay for the trip. So, the rest of the money goes into savings for future large purchases.
"Now all glory to God, who is able, through his mighty power at work within us, to accomplish infinitely more than we might ask or think"
~Ephesians 3:20~

Do you get great deals on your travel?

*No, I don't have any secrets here. Sorry! We have traveled all over the past 9 years and really enjoy the nicer all-inclusive resorts. This is one area that we are not that flexible on. We want to stay at a luxurious resort. After all, it is what we have worked so hard for all year. So, if there is a deal than it is a bonus! Last year we got a good deal due to the Swine Flu. This year, not so much. I will say that it is worth every penny to have that time to relax, unwind & rejuvenate!
"Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest."
~Matthew 11:28~

How many children do you have?
*I have one precious miracle girl and one doggy girl :)

"Children are a gift from the Lord: they are a reward from him"
~Psalm 127:3~

How long do you plan on doing this?
*As long as I continue to island dream :)

"For I know the plans that I have for you, declare the Lord"
~Jeremiah 29:11~

Well, that is about all of the time I have to answer questions for today. I hope this helps. Please feel free to keep the questions coming. I love that some of you are reading from other countries! Hope you all are blessed this Wednesday.
In Him~
SHO

"Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart"
~Psalm 37:4~

No comments: